Warren County Public Library
The Illinois Freedom of Information Act
I. A brief description of our public body is as follows:
The Library is located at 62 Public Square, Monmouth, IL 61462.
- A copy of the Library’s operating budget for any fiscal year is available at the front desk upon request. Funding sources are property and personal property replacement taxes, state and federal grants, fines, charges, and donations.
- The Warren County Public Library Board of Trustees, which meets monthly on the second Monday of each month at 5:15 p.m. at the Library, and in each branch Library once during the biennium (every other year), exercises control over the policies and procedures of the Warren County Public Library. The Board consists of 8 members.
- The Library is required to report and be answerable for its operations to the Illinois State Library in Springfield, Illinois, to the State Librarian (who is also the Secretary of State), to the Director of the State Library, and to various other staff.
A. Our purpose is to provide materials and services for the recreational, social, informational, and educational needs of the community.
B. An organizational chart is below.
c. The total amount of our operating budget for FY 2017-18 is: $925,802.
Funding sources are property (and personal property replacement taxes), state and federal grants, fines, charges, and donations. Tax levies are:
- Corporate purposes (for general operating expenditures): $455,713.92
- IMRF, the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (provides for employees’ retirement and related expenses): $33,173.30
- Social Security (provides for employees’ FICA costs and related expenses) & Medicare: $24,126.03
- Audit (for annual audit and related expenses): $8,377.09.
- Maintenance (for maintaining the building): $50,262.56.
D. The office is located at 62 Public Square, Monmouth, IL 61462. It has branch locations at 144 West Penn, Roseville, IL 61473; 102 West Broadway, Alexis, IL 61412; and 134 South Kirk, Kirkwood, IL 61447.
E. We have the following number of persons employed:
- Full-time: six
- Part-time: ten
F. The following organization exercises control over our policies and procedures: The Warren County Public Library Board of Trustees, which meets monthly on the second Monday of each month, at 5:15 p.m., at the library. Its members are: Ronda Willhardt, President; Kath Sturgeon, Vice President; Elisha Vancil, Treasurer; Neal Heerwagen; Charles H. McKenna III; Michelle Simmons; Amy Zesbaugh, Secretary.
G. No organization operates in an advisory capacity regarding our operation.
H. We are required to report and be answerable for our operations to: Illinois State Library, Springfield, Illinois. Its members are: State Librarian (Secretary of State) Jesse White, and various other staff.
II. You may request the information and the records available to the public in the following manner:
A. Use request form (see attached).
B. Your request should be directed to the following individual: Larisa Good, FOIA officer.
C. You must indicate whether you have a “commercial purpose” in your request.
D. You must specify the records requested to be disclosed for inspection or to be copied. If you desire that any records be certified, you must specify which ones.
E. To reimburse us our actual costs for reproducing and certifying (if requested) the records, you will be charged the following fees:
- There is a $1.00 charge for each certification of records.
- There is no charge for the first fifty (50) pages of black and white text either letter or legal size.
- There is a $.15 per page charge for copied records in excess of 50 pages.
- The actual copying cost of color copies and other sized copies will be charged.
F. If the records are kept in electronic format, you may request a specific format and if feasible, they will be so provided, but if not, they will be provided either in the electronic format in which they are kept (and you would be required to pay the actual cost of the medium only, i.e., disc, tape, etc.) or in paper as you select.
G. The office will respond to a written request within five (5) working days or sooner if possible. An extension of an additional five (5) working days may be necessary to properly respond.
H. Records may be inspected or copied. If inspected, an employee must be present throughout the inspection.
I. The place and times where the records will be available are as follows:
- 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m.to 5:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday between the Monday following Labor Day and the Monday following Memorial Day.
- Summer hours are 8:00 a.m.to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Warren County Public Library, Administrative Office, 62 Public Square, Monmouth, IL 61462.
III. Certain types of information maintained by us are exempt from inspection and copying. However, the following types or categories of records are maintained under our control:
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Annual Receipts and Disbursements Reports
- Budget and Appropriation Ordinances
- Levy Ordinances
- Operating Budgets
- Annual Audits
- Minutes of the Board of Library Trustees
- Library Policies, including Materials Selection
- Adopted Ordinances and Resolutions of the Board
- Annual Reports to the Illinois State Library